Fixing your bike on the road is something you’ll have to do just about every day on a bicycle tour. A multi-tool is a perfect way to carry a bunch of tools in a small package. The Topeak Alien II 26 is a very effective tool and is the go-to when it comes to bike multi-tools. Though it is a bit heavy, it is extremely versatile. I found most of the allen wrenches fit my bike and only had a little trouble using the wrenches on a water bottle mount and the tool size was a little restrictive inside the water bottle cage. This tool does split in two which certainly helps cut down its size and make it more maneuverable.
Let’s look at some of the features and how they might help you out on the road.
- Universal Chain Tool- This is useful if you don’t have a quick-release chain.
- Allen-wrenches- There are useful in adjusting brakes, pedals, clips, seatposts, and panniers.
- Bottle opener- Self-supported tour? Alcholic? Either way or both, this is handy.
- Knife- Very useful while camping or cutting straps on the bike or panniers.
- Tire levers- Nice heavy duty levers for replacing flats.
- Wrenches- Work when I need to adjust my front and rear racks.
- Spoke wrenches- A very handy tool to have in this set, that way the small thing isn’t lost in a bag.
There is a universal chain tool, allen wrenches, spoke wrenches, wrenches, knife, bottle opener, 2 tire levers, and more! This is a must-have for a tour, pick one up cheap at rei.com by clicking on the picture above.